Saturday, July 24, 2004

The Hard Part

I have just returned from a 19 hour day! Went to Abilene for Nick's funeral. Incredible experience. Heart breaking and healing all at the same time.  Wish I could post the picture I have of Nick in my mind. He was probably 15 and he just had the greatest smile and a twinkle in his eye. Really! His shining personality just beamed from his face!

Some have said "what a waste", and I agree. His death was a waste but his life was definitely not a waste! There were over 700 people at Nicks funeral today, most of whom knew Nick or his family in a special way. So many young people. There were many stories about Nick, great stories!  He was a special young man. As I listened to these stories, I wished I had known Nick better. I wish I could have seen one of his plays or heard his band live. Even in death his personality is still magnetic.

Nick's Dad told me that he knows that when everyone leaves "that will be the hard part. That is when this will all be real."  I so wish there was a way to spare them this pain but I know that there isn't. They take comfort in the person Nick was before this terrible summer. Literally 100's of people have come forward to tell  how Nick made a difference in their lives. At the same time, it makes the loss seem greater. More tragic.

Please pray specifically for Bit, Bill, Riley and Kenzie in the coming months.  I know the prayers and love of complete strangers have helped carry their family this far. Thank you so much for standing in the gap for Nick! Must rest.

Stephanie

Little cool side note. Today I heard that Nick was a big fan of "splashing".  It seems few escaped his splashing and water fight fun.  A few minutes before 3 pm (when the funeral started)  a totally random, unpredicted short rain storm blew into Abilene. (If you know Abilene you know how rare that is!) It poured just as the family was arriving at the church. Several couldn't help but wonder if somehow God let Nick give one last splash! So like him!

1 comments:

SG said...

Mrs. Judy,
I would loved to have seen you, but yes, getting into the church was a mess! Martha is such a neat lady. I have just come to know her during the last weeks. It is fitting that you two would be friends! My "Uncle" Bill (really a second cousin) took me under his wing helping me with bankng matters during my time at ACU. He and Bit turned a horrible tragedy into a beautiful family when they adopted Nick, Riley, and Kenzie. I still just can't believe this has happened. I know they have a strong support system in Abilene in all their family. Sad to say, they will need it!