Thursday, July 15, 2004

Nick update 2

(This post is about my cousin Nick Whitaker.. to get the full story read "For Nick" posted 7/12)

I just returned from Dallas from visiting Nick's family. I also saw Nick for the first time since all this began. They are 24 days into this ordeal! 24 days! Nick has been #1 on the transplant list for 30 hours now. We are just waiting for a liver, Again!  

The reason the last liver did not work was because it was not getting the blood it needed due to a heart valve that didn't function right.  The heart valve has been replaced so, the hope is a new liver would have a much better chance of working. Nick's body has shown no signs of rejecting the liver. 

Right now Nick is in a medically induced coma, again. This time he is also on a respirator  and dialysis so that his body and organs can rest.  He has a little more strength and time than he did the last time he was on the transplant list, so we pray for the best! We are just waiting for that perfect liver!
 
Amazingly, the family is optimistic and confident that a liver will come in time.  I was moved to tears by the selflessness and courage shown by Nick's Mom and Dad.  They were so interested in my kids and so welcoming and loving. I have no doubt that our Father God is working in the lives of so many through this horrible ordeal! I wish I wasn't so tired because there are so many things I would love to share about the undeniable hand of God in this situation! It is the goose pimpling, spine tingling kind of stuff that even doubters can't deny. That will have to be another blog.
 
PLEASE Lord, turn tragedy into triumph again! Let Nick get the liver he needs! Nick has such an incredible story to tell, I pray he lives to tell it! Thank you for all you have done for this family in the last 24 days. Thank you for the friends and family that have come from all over to support Nick. Thank you for the fragile life you breathed into each of us. May we aspire only to bring glory to your name! IJN Amen


3 comments:

Clarissa said...

I am so sorry you and your family are having to go through this. Lord, please be gracious to Nick and those who love him!

judy thomas said...

Stephanie, I am so sorry about your friend Nick. From things I have heard, I think he must be from Abilene, or at least his parents are.

There are so many tough unexplainable things in life, it is a wonder we can endure it--but as Tony C. says, "Sunday's comin'" when all those things will be smoothed out and fixed. My prayers are with you, the family and Nick.

judy thomas said...

Stephanie, I am so sorry about your friend Nick. From things I have heard, I think he must be from Abilene, or at least his parents are.

There are so many tough unexplainable things in life, it is a wonder we can endure it--but as Tony C. says, "Sunday's comin'" when all those things will be smoothed out and fixed. My prayers are with you, the family and Nick.