Friday, July 30, 2004

The Singing Butler


The Singing Butler Posted by Hello
Some random thoughts for today...

First, after two years of searching, sale hopping and frame optioning, this picture is hanging in our bedroom. I am redoing the whole room around this picture. I love this picture but I can't say exactly why. It's called The Singing Butler by Jack Vettriano. As I lie in bed and look at it I wonder..What is he singing? Why are they on the beach dancing in formal wear in a rain storm? Why are they making the maid and butler stand out in the rain with them? Is there a storm brewing or is this dusk? Would this be as romantic as it looks in real life? Why did he name it the singing butler..We can't even see that the butler is singing? So many questions. I guess this is what art- and I use the term broadly- is supposed to do...Inspire thought. What does this picture do for you?

Secondly, last night Rob and I helped host a "Back To School" party for my dear Christian college ACU. There were alumnus of all ages as well as entering freshmen and returning students at this Ice Cream, Sandwich & Salad supper (recipes for my salads in the comments). My good friend Chris Campbell, who now works for ACU, came down to run the show, so to speak. Chris has been one of my favorite people for many years. It was great to see him.

My time at ACU yielded so many lifelong friendships, some more regular than others, but still real and meaningful. I loved my time at ACU. I miss daily chapel. I miss office hours in the SA. I miss class discussions and deep thoughts. (thus I blog:-) I miss getting to take Bible classes and going to church at Highland. I miss my adopted families in Abilene the Copes and the Smalls. But there are things I don't miss like not knowing who I would marry, or if I would marry. I don't miss exams, annotated bibliographies, or group papers. I don't miss that awful feeling in the pit of my stomach from accidentally waking 10 minutes before class started and trying to make it. Being around those 18 and 19 year olds last night made me think two things...
1. You've come along way Baby!
2. Hasn't it been a fun ride?!

Lastly there is a great fun flash at Smile Pop called the Internet Soapbox. I have seen it so many time I can quote it, but it still makes me LOL. Enjoy!

Happy Friday to all and to all a great weekend!

6 comments:

Mae said...

Just a few things... (gotta have the ... in a comment at least once a day!)
1. We're both up way too late.
2. The stout non-forwarding guy was so funny, I almost woke Brandon up from laughing and I'm all the way in the south wing of out 1550 sq. ft. home.
3. I'll try the oriental coleslaw, but only when I have lots of built up points, sounds very calorically high. Isn't that a good word to say.. calorically. Sounds dis-teen-gwishd!
4. I see why you wanted to go w/ Summer Pudding for your room color. It would look fantastic against the art.
5. Speaking of art. Makes me wonder if the maid is afraid her dress is going to fly up over her head from the heavy winds.
6. Here's a recipe for you for a homemade Catalina dressing. Equal parts of: sugar, ketchup, vinegar and oil, mix well and enjoy! Easy, quick, and delicious w/ a salad and spaghetti followed by chess pie (our traditional Turkey Day meal at Gran's!).
7. I think I'm a better typist in the dark than I am in the light.
8. I think Vettriano was possibly dellusional when he named his painting (or I'm dellusinal now,nah that doesn't happen), he really meant to call it "Rich folks dancing on the beach while the butler and maid stand guard to make sure they aren't washed away by the hi tide, and in order for it to look like a party so the Richy Riches don't look like dorks dancing at dusk." But that's way too long for a title.
9. Speaking of way too long, my comment is getting there so I'll stop now.
10. Can't end on an uneven note ~ it's a control thing!:) Have fun w/ the company this weekend... (just had to throw another ... in for good measure!)

Susan - said...

Steph,

First, I love the picture. It is very YOU. It will look great in your room. Second, I think you are right. You and Mae may have been seperated at birth! You "sound" so much alike it is scary. Third, what are doing up so late? Go to bed!

Kester Smith... said...

Maybe the butler and the maid (married for years and seen here dancing together) have been given a treat by the people they work for (seen here holding umbrellas) with a little role reversal. Maybe the employers are such a generous couple that the butler cannot help but sing for them as they dance on the beach. Maybe they are horrible people, but he sings for them anyway because he's a good man. Maybe they are horrible people and he is singing "Here Comes The Rain Again" knowing they're about to get drenched.

That's what I love about art. So many ways to go with one painting. Maybe the singing butler is the one painting the picture. Painting and singing are the two things he does to relax at the end of a long day.

SG said...

This is for Mae or anyone else ...

ORIENTAL COLE SLAW
2 16oz. bags of pre-shredded cabbage/slaw mix
2 Packages Oriental Ramen Noodles
1 cup sunflower seed kernals
1/2 cup blanched slivered almonds
1 bunch green onions
Dressing: combine following until sugar dissolves.
1/4 cup salad oil(or1/2 cup you decide both work)
3/4 cup sugar or equivilant splenda
3/4 cup vinegar
2 Oriental Seasoning packets from ramen noodles
Remove seasoning packets from noodles. Combine cabbage with noodles (smushed & broken) seeds, almonds and finely minced onion. Toss with dressing. Chill at least three hours.

FRIED OKRA SALAD
1 Lg package breaded okra, fried (I just get a family size side from the chicken place)
1 Large bell pepper cubed
6 Roma tomatoes cubed
1 medium size bunch of green onions cut fine
10-12 slices crisp bacon crumbled
Layer in salad bowl: Peppers, onion, tomatoes, bacon, and okra. Just before serving toss gingerly with the following dressing.
Dressing:
1/4 cup sugar or equivilant splenda
1/2 cup oil
1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
Serve warm or chilled (fried okra part, don't warm the salad)...goes pretty fast either way.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Steph--
What??? Chris Campbell is working for ACU now?? Wow! Since when?

Have you seen the Princess Diaries? First, my Maddie literally thinks she's a princess, and I am almost positive my wife does too. Anyway, I thought the girl who played the lead could have been your sister!

You need to come to Nashville for the ZOE conference. Do it! Bring Rob and make a fun weekend of it.

John Owens said...

Whoa SG...you didn't say your sister looked like the Princess Diaries girl. Hmm. So, I'm an aquarius with a witty personality... :)